Pair program with me! profile for carousel at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

5/05/2013

Vim vs sublime-text2

One of the essential tools for a web developer is a code editor. Fortunately, there is a lot of great editors on the market.

They may be divided on the basis of several criteria:
  • Whether commercial or open software
  • What languages ​​are supported
  • Are they intended for online or desktop editing
  • IDE or a basic a text editor and so on.
Among them, I personally don't like fancy IDE-s like Dreamweaver of NetBeans. Althought they provide a lot of usefull tools in one window, their core funtionallity is hidden under shiny GUI.
I like to develope on the basic level without too much use of the mouse and the ability to adjust environment based on my needs.
For everything else - I use Chrome dev. tools.

Sublime-text2 and Vim stands in their own in the world of editors.
Vim is a incredibly powerfull text editor written by Bram Moolenaarand first released publicly in 1991. Part of Vim's power is that it can be extensively customized.
The learning curve is not so easy, but Vim is intended to be used by dedicated programmers who are willing to spend time learning. After initial difficulties, you discover the world of incredible productivity with a large amount of plugins and custom keyboard mappings. Vim is also completely free.

On the other hand Sublime-text2 is a new comer in the editors world.

Some features include:
  • Minimap: a preview of the full source code
  • Ability to select multiple sections of code
  • Multi-panel editing
  • Bookmarks within files
  • Native support for 27 (44 as of Sublime Text 2 beta) programming languages included, with additional available for download
  • Autosave
  • RegEx-based find and replace
  • Fully customizable syntax highlighting
  • Brace matching, autocomplete
  • Support for macros and Python-based plugins
  • Custom key bindings

One important feature of Sublime is that it has support for Vim commands, through the use of vintage mode.

In the past weeks I tried to compare these two powerfull editors.
I am a dedicated Vim user, but I decided to give a chance to Sublime, since it is used by many famous developers.

I used nonregistered version of Sublime-text2 on Ubuntu 13.04.

In the end I have to say that I'm not overly thrilled with the Sublime. My conclusion is that all that it offers,  can already be found in Vim. The only obvious advantage I saw is GUI. Vim is despite the use of 256 colors, which extend the range of colors, still attached to the terminal. GVim is of course different, but I'm not using it.
Sublime GUI is nice and intuitive - but for now that is all.
 All  Vim users have in their fingers  a bunch of custom keyboard mappings. Those mappings is not possible to transfer to Sublime  - even through vintage mode - for me that  is a good reason to stay faitfull to Vim.

Happy Coding.

No comments:

Post a Comment